Friday, January 22, 2010

The pond at sunset today.


Still mostly frozen over despite warmer weather all week. No sign of the otter today.

3 comments:

LazyMom said...

Nice sunset. I noticed your worm blog. I just started a worm bin, but I don't see much action yet.
I hope I have not killed them all.

JGH said...

Rumor has it worms like sweet stuff like fruit better than lettuce. Do you find that?

Pam J. said...

Go LazyMom! Another convert to the worm worshipers. And yes, JGH, they do like fruit better than almost anything. In the wonderful book The Earth Moved: On the Remarkable Achievements of Earthworms, author Amy Stewart quotes Adam Phillips who wrote in a book called Darwin's Worms (which I haven't read but will) that earthworms "preserve the past, and create the conditions for future growth. No deity is required for these reassuring continuities....Darwin has replaced a creation myth with a secular maintenance myth. This is how the earth maintains itself, as fertile and ongoing." Stewart then says "Perhaps Darwin realized that the promise of eternal life, of resurrection, had been delivered. It was already happening, right beneath his feet."

When I got my worms I got a new religion. (I guess it's more accurate to say that I finally GOT a religion.)