

I do love the snow and ice and cold, but I also miss being able to dig in my garden. In the DC area we don't always get rock-hard-solid ground in the winter. But this year is different. Tomorrow I'm going to dig in my compost piles just to get my digging fix in.
2 comments:
As a kid (we're talking the '60s), I remember skating on the pond at Georgetown Prep off Rockville Pike. Guess it doesn't freeze much there these days?
The GPrep pond might freeze over but I'll bet there's no longer any ice skating allowed. In the DC area there's been a lot of restrictions put on where you can and cannot ice skate. Too many senseless drownings -- mostly young kids trying their luck. The only reason "my" pond hasn't frozen over is that there's this ugly windmill device that pumps air into the pond via an airhose that runs on the floor of the pond out to the middle. Air bubbles up and keeps the water moving. I think it was installed to keep the summer algae in check, but it also has the effect of keeping the pond from freezing over as quickly. The geese and ducks also may help keep it open. And for two winters there was a beaver family at the pond and they were very active in the winter. A LOT to learn from that little pond. Anyway, if the pond at Georgtwn Prep doesn't have a similar windmill it might be frozen over right now. I know Georgetwn Prep well since I worked down the street, at NIH, for a long time--like forever. And I still drive by Geo Prep on my way to lunch with friends from NIH. Strathmore across the street is now a wonderful musical venue. I think the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra calls it home. And next month Wilco will be there. Good mix of music.
Post a Comment