Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Stone garden balls!


Great post over on Garden Rant about these balls. Commenters either love them or are perplexed by them. I'm in the former camp. I want a bunch.

Commenter Ali M. provides a very easy recipe:

"Go to the dollar store and buy play balls in different sizes. Cut a round hole about 3" in them and fill them with hypertufa. While you are working you can support the ball in an empty flower pot. Leave it there until the hypertufa has hardened enough for you to carefully cut off the ball. Sometimes there is a mold line from the inside of the ball that needs to be smoothed so don't leave the ball on too long or the cement will be too hard to smooth. Have fun!"

I'll make some this winter and by next summer maybe they'll be covered in moss. ("If it's on the north side of the house, it will eventually get covered with a lovely green moss.")

I'm supposed to be getting rid of stuff in my house, not making more stuff.

1 comment:

Pix E. said...

i like them very much. they remind me of a sculpture set at Storm king Art center in the Hudson river valley
i'd like 7 of them.