
I never read "Eat, Pray, Love." In fact I sort of refused** to even open the book at the library or in bookstores. And I've never read anything about the book, period. Which is kind of hard because the book has been, I believe, wildly popular. But when I saw "Drink, Play, etc" at the library it just made me laugh, so of course I had to check it out. And it does make me laugh. Not exactly in a snarky way. But close. I'm trying to banish snarkiness from my life.
**I believe this refusal was caused by my friend Margo and her annual beach&book-reading trip with girlfriends a few years ago. On these trips each person brings books and they share among themselves. They agreed that no one would bring along a copy of this book--too sappy** was the criticism I believe. See what influence my friends have over me?
**Update: It just occurred to me that I should go on the record about "sappy" books. I'm not immune to sappy books at all. And I don't dislike them as a rule. So no offense meant. And I doubt if Margo and the beach crowd object to sappy books once in awhile. So.
1 comment:
What I remember best about that beach trip is bringing a book called "You Can't Make Me Angry." When I tried to read it on the beach, all of my housemates started snarking away that they in fact could make me angry. "I can!," said Blaise. I closed the book and have not looked at it since. No self-help on the beach.
Post a Comment