
It's one of four volunteer melons in my garden. I had to pick this one before its time (I accidentally trampled the vine). One other is definitely a cantaloupe and the final two are probably also pumpkins. I hoped they were watermelons: they're very green. But I think pumpkins don't turn orange until later in the season. To be continued.
3 comments:
Hi Pam - I'm growing pumpkin and cateloupe (midget, so I have no idea what size they should be!) The pumpkins have much bigger leaves. They're both still blooming even though earlier parts of the vine are dying. I'm wondering if I should even be letting them flower at this point! The pumpkins in our school courtyard were turning in mid-August. I'm anxious to see what they look like now. How's the tomato harvest going??
It didn't occur to me to pluck the flowers on the squash/lope vines...that's what you mean, right? My tomatoes are doing fine, especially the volunteer ones. I'm thinking that next year I won't buy seedlings or plant seeds because so many tomatoes just come back naturally. Not sure if the seeds come from my compost or are left-over seeds from fallen tomatoes in years past.
Hope you had a great vacation and that everyone is ready for the new school year. Will your schools let the kids listen to/watch Pres Obama on Tues? Boy is that a silly debate.
I can't believe I forgot to ask the vice principal about the Obama speech when I met him today. I really hope they get to watch it!
I read somewhere that once you get a couple of good fruits on a vine that you should pinch the rest of it off so that all the energy goes to your top prospects - I only had 3 canteloupe form and they were small so I just left them.
I was also surprised at how many volunteer tomatoes came out of the town compost!!
Post a Comment