Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Did I need to know this?


I just finished eating this chicken for dinner. My grocery store helpfully told me about my dinner's childhood. His or her life started out on a good note: born and raised in Canada. Sounds kinda nice, right?  Then....slaughtered. Thanks for reminding me.

3 comments:

Margaret said...

Maybe they should have written the chicken's name on the wrapper too. :)

KB said...

The word 'harvest' is so much nicer ... and means the same thing basically. Write to that chicken company/farm and make that suggestion ;)

cyradaria said...

Well, I suppose it could've said, "Raised in Canada, brought to Pennsylvania in the U.S. where Jasper Stoltzfus took it out back-o-the barn and twisted its neck until it stopped flapping its little can't-fly wings." I suppose we could have slaughter farms, like the Edward G. Robinson death scene in Soylent Green, where we put them on a gurney and play classical music to film. I just think our population is such that we are just going to see bigger and bigger farms and more industrialization of the food chain. Until the asteroid comes, of course.