Saturday, March 16, 2013
Must finish by Tuesday night. Doubtful.
I joined a book club recently. This is what we're discussing on Tuesday night. I'm on page 318 of 672, and the likelihood of me finishing by then is very small. I'm sure I can find an online summary with plot spoilers to fill me in, but this is one of those book clubs -- I discovered after the fact -- that meets to have a great home-cooked meal sprinkled lightly, or not, with book talk. So I don't necessarily feel that I must know the outcome of the novel since I probably won't be the only one who doesn't finish it. And that means there might not be much discussion anyway.
I'm undecided about staying with this particular group. I'm very compatible with the small group of eight women -- we like the same kinds of books, we live close enough, and the group has been together for more than 20 years so they have staying power. Although I like to cook, I don't like to cook for foodies. And hostessing is not my strength. I just wanted to join a simple club that sat in someone's living room or in a local diner/coffee shop yakking about a specific book, and books in general, for an hour or so.
At the first meeting I attended, in February, we discussed State of Wonder by Ann Patchett. Interesting novel with a lot of side issues worthy of discussion. We spent about 20 minutes actually talking about the book, and that's a generous estimate. Dinner -- which was delicious and discussed thoroughly -- was scallops and grapefruit risotto and sauteed chick-pea patties and fruit and coconut cake and other dishes I've forgotten. It was in the home of someone who lives in an older section of upper NW DC in a Sears house, 1920s vintage I think she said, with a kitchen overlooking the dining room. Perfect for someone cooking a 100-course meal from scratch while talking to eight guests who are milling about asking dozens of questions about the food and the cooking thereof. She handled it beautifully.
I think it will be my turn to host the dinner (sprinkled with book talk) in July or August, although I might ask to do it earlier just to get it out of the way. Then if I quit I will have paid my way, so to speak.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

7 comments:
You probably could have made a significant dent in that book yesterday during my nearly four-hour visit!
You were sweet not to mention that you had this pressing obligation. In return, I will help you with your luncheon when your turn comes.
Thanks for the wonderful interlude yesterday, with all the great conversation and laughs. You and Doug are the best!
Our book club sounds more like the kind you want. We meet at each other's houses(mainly mine now since it gives me something to do); one person brings a dessert then we spend most of the time discussing the book. We loved State of Wonder! We would never pick a book as long as the one you're trying to finish. (400-500 is our max)Our next books are Language of Flowers(already finished it and I loved it), The Orchardist, The Light between Oceans and the latest Barbara Kingsolver, whose name I can't remember. Hope the dinner isn't as excruciating as you are anticipating!
"Pressing obligation"! Ha! So not so. It was a wonderful interlude in a not-highly-scheduled day when I know for a fact I would not have been reading, at least not in the afternoon. But you're right about one thing: how did the time pass that quickly?? Thanks for the tip about the Nella Last books. Among other thanks.
Margaret: That's what I'm talking about -- I like your club style. And your reading list is just like the one for my club. And many others I'm sure.
Flight Behavior is the new Kingsolver novel. I read it; I liked it.
If you do host later in the Summer at least you would wow them with your fresh garden vegetables. They might want to discuss gardening instead of cooking... who knows? Whenever I cooked for my shift in the fire dept(12 men) all I had to worry about was if it were fattening enough and if there was a lot of it. I used family recipe's from the 60's. Salt? Butter? Large portions of meat? check, check and check. lol. I'm sure you'll perform well.
I hadn't thought of home-grown garden veggies! Excellent idea. It's a good time to plan so I'm glad you mentioned this. Thanks Otsy's Mom! Salt, butter, meat. Main food groups around this house. I also cook for men only (although just 2, not 12) but I'm the one eating all the salt and butter. I have bread with my butter, and rice with my salt. At last check, just a week ago in fact, my total cholesterol reading was 219, down from 232 a year ago, so go figure. Doc pushes statins; I resist because I'm stubborn and contrary. I may cave in soon.
I can't believe I added a superfluous apostrophe to recipes. Motherhood has made my mediocre writing worse than ever. All of us voyeurs would like to know what your plan is for the garden. A full report. With a picture.
And high cholesterol will only kill you slowly. Unlike high blood pressure. I like to measure the risk/reward of my activities with a question: would it be worth it to die doing this and if so, what is my probability of dying? I ride my bike on the road but I would never skydive. I'm sure that skydiving is less risky but I know that I wouldn't enjoy it enough to die for it at this point in my life. With that said, I think I could live without salt but probably not without butter. Maybe I could do ghee instead...
Post a Comment