

I'm still reading all the emails from my local beekeeping group. This popped up yesterday. I apologize to all the successful beekeepers out there who may read this, because I am definitely still pro-bee even though my two most recent posts about bees were kinda negative. But I do think this lady should re-consider. I'm not sure if she's a physician or not. She needs an editor, but who doesn't? I know that she loves her bees. And may be a bit of a risk-taker.
"My sting reactions have been getting progressively worse ...and yesterday I was hospitalized shortly, not because of anaphylaxis, but because my diaphragm went into spasms, interrupting my breathing about 10 minutes after a second sting while top feeding (the stings WERE my fault and I have not been very good at wearing protective gear). I was fine after all the usual treatments, but told that the next time I get multiple stings I may not make to the ER even with an Epipen.
"... I have put a lot of time, effort and love (not to mention $) into my 2 hives and they are doing very well. I hate to give them up and was looking for some feedback from beekeepers. I am well aware that physicians do their best to strike fear into one's heart, and as a physician know that they do speak some truth, but may not understand bees or their upkeep.
"I will be starting immuntolerance therapy and am ordering more serious protective gear. Am I crazy for wanting to keep this up?"
Photos: two of the very, very few nasturtiums I got this year. I love them (modest, edible, and totally deer-proof) but am not very successful with them. Too little water? Too few (or too many) nutrients? Too little (or too much) sun? My ignorance about them is huge.
2 comments:
Can they come up with a bee that doesn't sting? Somebody?
Love the nasturtiums. Somehow I had a volunteer that flourished last year, but nothing this year.
As for the bee stings, I'd always read that one's tolerance increased with more stings, but I guess there's always the exception that proves the rule. I agree with you-- if I were her, I'd give it up.
Post a Comment