Speaking of deer, the Park Service is holding another hunt, or managed kill, in the park next door. The hunt happened last year too and we saw a difference -- the number of deer that sleep, roam, and give birth in our neighborhood went way down. They're still around but not nearly as many of them. Which makes you wonder why they're having the hunt again. Maybe on the theory that they must stay one step ahead of the deer because they are nearly impossible to control around here.
The article under the card about sugar was good too.
*To be complete the picture would need a groundhog, a rabbit, a cat, and a opossum. We got 'em all in our deep suburban abode.

5 comments:
No skunks?
We have a bunny living under our front porch. It's the only one I've seen around here. I'm tempted to leave some carrots out.
Are you abstaining from sugar?
In 30 years at this house I've never seen or smelled a skunk but I'm sure they are there. I have seen, well actually my daughter and husband saw, a coyote one Christmas Eve in our neighbor's yard. And as I type I'm looking up at a beautiful pileated woodpecker at my bird feeder.
Abstaining from sugar? Not me! Not now, not ever. As long as the sugar is mixed with chocolate, preferably dark chocolate, I pretend that it's health food. I do completely believe, until it's proven otherwise, that too much sugar is a Bad Hombre for many people and that fats are not nearly as evil as we sometimes think. Mostly, I'm outraged and shocked that in 1967 Big Sugar managed to pay off scientists at Harvard to condemn fat and give sugar a pass. Research scientists were among my small list of admirable people, even though I know they are mere humans and therefore come in all flavors. But to accept a bribe to condemn fats and ignore the bad effects of sugar seems to me like a crime worth severe punishment. Millions of people may have been harmed by that one selfish act. And maybe we wouldn't have the controversial diagnosis of metabolic syndrome if they had just said no to Big Sugar.
Time to hop off the soapbox!
Fair enough!
My favorite cocktails all contain sugar, so I'm not swearing off, either.
We had skunks wander by in Shell. They never sprayed and if I was sitting outside, they'd come sniff my foot and wander on down the patio. Sometimes, one that had recently sprayed came by and smelled the place up for a few minutes. They were awfully cute.
I saw a dead skunk on westbound Rt.66 in Northern Virginia last week. First time I've seen a skunk in years. I've read they're on the decline in this area.
Post a Comment