| This is basically the entire restaurant. |
![]() |
| Bibim bap: Korean for delicious. |
![]() |
| Random wall. |
![]() |
| This woman is standing in the gas station half of the building. The wall with the picture of The Ramones is the beginning of the restaurant. (I wonder what, if anything, is in focus in this picture?) |
It's a tiny space that occupies what is usually devoted to car repair bays in a typical gas station at a busy intersection. There is seating for about 12 people if they are all squeezed together. A couple -- she's Korean, he's standard-issue American -- started the business in a food truck in No. Virginia and graduated to a space inside this gas station a few miles from me in Wheaton, MD. It's called Seoul Food. Nice story here.
The food was outstanding and the ambiance was fun. It's not a place to linger after eating of course -- people hovering waiting for a seat. They probably do a lot of take-out business. I loved the walls and general décor. Reminds me of my cluttered and randomly "decorated" home. I'll be going back for the food a lot!




3 comments:
Many times those small places have the freshest and best food, more authentic. (having been to Korea, those tiny, casual restaurants are much more the norm than big fancy ones)Once my daughter is back from Asia, I'm sure we'll be going to lots of Korea, Thai and Vietnamese restaurants(pho?) because she will definitely miss the food there. Other things, not so much.
No... no... I don't live in a place where you trust those tiny casual restaurants. I think it's brave to eat at a gas station even though shows like Diners Drive-ins and Dives spotlight such places. It certainly looks like a tasty meal.
Hi Zaz: You know what I think is "brave"? Driving my car almost anywhere. Thousands of cars and trucks all trying to get someplace in a hurry and half of the drivers texting or talking on cell phones.
Maybe it's because I've lived my entire life in or near a big city but I trust the small mom and pop places more than I do the established restaurants, especially the chains. The worst (maybe the only?) food poisoning I ever got was in a huge restaurant on the edge of the Grand Canyon at the height of the tourist season. Ugh. What a bad memory. And my husband's only memorable food poisoning was in an Applebee's in Denver. In Seoul Food, you can see the cooks (who are also the owners) prepare the food, which always gives me a sense of confidence, misplaced possibly.
Post a Comment