Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Ever try that toothpick-in-the-avocado-pit trick?


I have composting worms in three bins in my backyard. I used to blog about them. The other day I was harvesting some worm castings (aka poop, humus, black gold, etc) to amend my soil in the backyard and I came across this avocado tree, happily growing under several inches of worms and rotting food. So many times I've tried to force a seed to root in a glass with no success. Now I know that I can grow avocado trees in my worm bins. They are indeed my lovely and productive worms!




4 comments:

Kathy said...

Used to do the "pit in the glass" thing when the kids were little. Thing is, I was told that you need to have male and female plants to get any fruit. Pretty plant, but unproductive in my experience.

Zazzy said...

My mom managed to get the avocado trick to work, but I never have. I think she could grow rocks if she had tried. I find it utterly typical of the uncooperative seeds to find one growing in a compost/worm pile. So are you planting it?

Margaret said...

I'm pretty sure it wouldn't work for me! Wish it would because everyone thinks I'm great with plants. LOL

Peggy said...

I was totally unsuccessful trying to grow an avocado from seed.