Saturday, February 21, 2015

Hello. Do I know you?



I had cataract surgery on Monday--successful, easy, painless. But here's the thing no one tells you about cataract surgery. If, like me, you wait until the cataract is huge and dense you come away from the surgery with a brand-new view of the world -- which everyone said was going to be so great. But things that were fuzzy and rosy-looking before (my face, for example) are now alarmingly unfuzzy when I look in the mirror. Now I see someone with many wrinkles, hairs in places they shouldn't be, huge pores, and a lot of gray in her hair. I've apparently been walking around on this planet thinking I looked one way only to learn that, no, I didn't look like that.


It's weird to age 10 years in one day. So what have I learned about myself? Well, I'm way more vain than I ever knew. And way older. It took me a day or two to realize that I look the same to everyone else; I'm the only one who had the shock of seeing myself as I truly am.

So I ordered a big supply of these powder papers -- I'd rather look like an old lady wearing a tad too much powder than an old lady who has given up caring how she looks.

Ordering the papers triggered a lovely memory however. I'm fairly sure that I first bought this item about 20 years ago on one of my fun day-trips to New York City with a good friend. She introduced me to Zitomer Pharmacy, a family-owned, independent drug store on the upper East Side with aisles packed with ladies stuff. Looking at pictures of it now, it seems very high-end, but 20 years ago it just seemed quirky.

6 comments:

Margaret said...

My cataracts weren't that bad, so I didn't get that kind of shock--but I didn't think it was painless and I HATED doing the eye drops. However, my far vision is now decent without my glasses(I do wear them most of the time). My near vision requires glasses though which is kind of a pain!

Zazzy said...

I'm so glad your surgery went well. I remember Mom talking about how there were actual leaves on the trees - she didn't mention the wrinkles on her face, but then she wouldn't.

I didn't know you could still get those powder papers. I carry some in my purse (they are way less messy than trying to carry powder), but they're ancient and the brand doesn't even exist anymore.

susan harris said...

After you told me about this change I could only imagine how old everyone ELSE is now looking to you; not just you. sLike, just wait til you see MY wrinkles!

Pam J. said...

Interesting point Susan and one I hadn't considered. (Too busy thinking about myself, as usual.) What I should aim for is seeing an aging face as a thing of beauty. Why can't society do that? I will try to let my (aging) freak flag fly and be proud!

Margaret: I get it about always having to find reading glasses. That's why I chose to have only my near vision fixed.

Zazzy: Seeing individual leaves on trees is the comment I hear most often about corrected vision. I vividly remember 50+ years ago when I walked out of an optician's office wearing my first pair of glasses. The leaves! And when I mentioned above that there is beauty in aging faces I was thinking in particular of that sweet photo you posted of your mother a year or so ago. She looked sad, but she looked beautiful too.

Tanya Murray said...

That happens to me too if I am wearing my distance glasses and catch sight of my self. Usually I see my self in the mirror without glasses, do my make-up and think how dewy and fresh I still look. It's like having a permanent soft focus app on! I've decided I like my grand illusion and rarely check with glasses. Luckily those odd little hairs are nice and stiffish and I can feel them before I have to search for them he he. Oh the joys!

Peggy said...

Speaking of fuzzy faces,For my birthday I asked for and received a "No,No." It does help some I find I don't absent mindedly pull the hairs on my face as I watch TV.