Thursday, October 9, 2014

Exactly what is going on in this ad?


A few Sundays ago I discovered this two-page ad in the New York Times Magazine. Because I often get fixated on meaningless subjects, I've kept the ad and I look at it from time to time. And I have things to say about it. First, the toilet (it's that small white box next to the un-curtained floor-to-ceiling windows). Sure. I'd sit there using that toilet -- called the Numi -- and feel comfortable. Un huh.

But more perplexing is what we, the viewers, are supposed to make of that couple and their non-verbal communication. Is something amorous going on, or soon to go on? Something exhibitionist possibly -- involving that teeny tiny toilet?

The photo was taken at a Los Angeles house called the Stahl House, which has its own (moderately) interesting history.

What is the advertising thinking behind this campaign? I want Peggy Olson and Don Draper to explain it to me. More ads below.





Constipation possibly? Or maybe she's just lost the remote control for this $6,000 toilet.




5 comments:

Tanya Murray said...

Presumably bidet also as I see no paper holder!!! Sex sells and for a $6000 toilet they need to employ "sophisticated sex sells". It's all a bit weird "elephant in the room" though

Margaret said...

Beautiful photos of LA, which is NOT a photogenic city in my opinion. I don't understand the toilet either; I'm sure I'm just too unsophisticated to get the symbolism. :)

Anne said...

This ad is clearly directed at the single man who is not prepared to commit to a longer-term relationship, or even any date lasting more than just a few hours. We see the same couple in different clothing and at different times of the day, so presumably there have been four dates. The woman is at a loss about the lack of privacy. The man is taking it in his stride, almost daring the woman to use the facilities. After being fed a spicy bean dish before the last photo, her need to move her bowels is overwhelming, causing her to break out into a cold sweat and unbutton her blouse for some relief. She shortly leaves the house in a mad rush, tearfully totters down the canyon in her heels and relieves herself behind a tumbleweed before hitching a ride home.

Pam J. said...

Perfect analysis, Anne. How could I have missed all that? I bow to your insight.

cyradaria said...

I think she's asking him if he wants a glass of champagne while he sits on that piece-o-porcelain.