Monday, October 13, 2014

Shipping container apartments. If I were younger....

This shipping container apartment building is in Northeast DC, near the Franciscan Monastery where I spend several hours each Friday in the office sort of working. I read about this apartment and invited a friend to join me in a drive-by inspection after work last week. I had hopes of getting inside to see an actual unit, but they're already rented and occupied. And I wasn't nervy enough to ask the young man carrying in some boxes if we could barge in and check out his place. The building is in walking distance of Catholic University and the residents we saw entering and leaving certainly looked like students.

The idea of living in a shipping container is so appealing. In theory. Though I'm not sure I'd want to be on the top floor in August, even with air conditioning. I'll bet electrical storms are exciting!
 
[This is one of the first pictures I've taken with my new iPhone (oh the fun!); I hope to get better at it when I know what I'm doing. Plus I don't have user-friendly photo editing software right now so my photos are published raw, with no tweaking. I need to tweak.]





4 comments:

Margaret said...

Ooh, is your iPhone hard? I need to get a smart phone one of these days. I've heard of re-purposing shipping containers, but how do they get plumbing and electricity? Hmmm.

Pam J. said...

Not hard. A challenge, and fun.

I was a reluctant smartphoner. But I'm glad I caved in. It's a luxury, not a necessity. Yet.(?)

susan harris said...

Fascinating!

KB said...

Yay for the smartphone!