Tuesday, November 12, 2013

20th Century books I've read.

A Century of Books

1900:  Sister Carrie by Theodore Dreiser
1901: 
1902:  The Hound of the Baskervilles by Arthur Conan Doyle
1903:
1904:
1905:  The House of Mirth by Edith Wharton
1906:  The Jungle by Upton Sinclair
1907:
1908:
1909:  Strait is the Gate by Andre Gide
1910: 
1911:  Ethan Frome by Edith Wharton
1912:  Death in Venice by Thomas Mann
1913:  O Pioneers! by Willa Cather
1914:  Dubliners by James Joyce
1915:  The Good Soldier by Ford Madox Ford 
1916:  A Portrait of an Artist as a Young Man by James Joyce
1917:  Summer by Edith Wharton
1918:  My Antonia by Willa Cather
1919:  My Man Jeeves by P.D. Wodehouse
1920:  Main Street by Sinclair Lewis
1921:  To Let by John Galsworthy
1922:  Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse
1923:  The Fox by D. H. Lawrence
1924:  Billy Budd by Herman Melville
1925:  The Professor’s House by Willa Cather
1926:  The Silver Spoon by John Galsworthy
1927:  Death Comes for the Archbishop by Willa Cather
1928:  Point Counterpoint by Aldous Huxley
1929:  A Farewell to Arms by Ernest Hemingway
1930:  The Maltese Falcon by Dashiell Hammett
1931:  Babylon Revisited and Other Stories by F. Scott Fitzgerald
1932:  Brave New World by Aldous Huxley
1933:  Tender is the Night by F. Scott Fitzgerald
1934:  And Quiet Flows the Don by Mikhail Sholokhov
1935:  A Clergyman’s Wife by George Orwell

1936:  Keep the Aspidistra Flying by George Orwell
1937:  The Citadel by A. J. Cronin
1938:  Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier
1939:  The Day of the Locust by Nathanael West
1940:  The Heart is a Lonely Hunter by Carson McCullers
1941:   What Makes Sammy Run by Budd Schulberg
1942:  The Stranger by Albert Camus
1943:   The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand
1944:  The Razor’s Edge by W. Somerset Maugham
1945:  The Egg and I by Betty MacDonald
1946:  All the King's Men by William Penn Warren
1947:  Aurora Dawn by Herman Wouk
1948:  The Loved One by Evelyn Waugh
1949:  1984 by George Orwell
1950:  The Town and the City by Jack Kerouac
1951:  The End of the Affair by Graham Greene
1952:  East of Eden by John Steinbeck
1953:  Casino Royale by Ian Fleming
1954:  Lord of the Flies by William Golding
1955:  After Dark, My Sweet by Jim Thompson
1956:  Palace Walk by Naguib Mahfouz
1957:  On the Road by Jack Kerouac
1958:  Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov
1959:  A Separate Peace by John Knowles
1960:  Rabbit, Run by John Updike
1961:  Franny and Zooey by J.D. Salinger
1962:  We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson
1963:  The Fire Next Time by James Baldwin
1964:  Herzog by Saul Bellow
1965:  The British Museum is Falling Down by David Lodge
1966:  Wide Sargasso Sea by Jean Rhys
1967:  Rosemary's Baby by Ira Levin
1968:  A Fan's Notes by Frederick Exley
1969:  I Know Why the Caged Bird Sing by Maya Angelou
1970:  A Fairly Honourable Defeat by Iris Murdoch
1971:  Black Sun by Edward Abbey
1972:  Surfacing by Margaret Atwood
1973:  Nickel Mountain by John Gardner
1974:  Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance by Robert N. Pirsig
1975:  Tuck Everlasting by Natalie Babbitt
1976:  Ordinary People by Judith Guest
1977:  Death of an Expert Witness by P.D. James
1978:  The Sweet Dove Died by Barbara Pym
1979:  Sophie’s Choice by William Styron
1980:  The Second Coming by Walker Percy
1981:  Gorky Park by Martin Cruz Smith
1982:  Dinner at the Homesick Restaurant by Anne Tyler
1983:  Heat and Dust by Ruth Prawer Jhabvala
1984:  White Noise by Don DeLillo
1985:  Continental Drift by Russell Banks
1986:  The New York Trilogy by Paul Auster
1987:  Crossing to Safety by Wallace Stegner
1988:  Dalva by Jim Harrison
1989:  The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro
1990:  Immortality by Milan Kundera
1991:  The Kitchen God’s Wife by Amy Tan
1992:  The Secret History by Donna Tartt
1993:  Montana, 1948 by Larry Watson
1994:  Snow Falling on Cedars by David Guterson
1995:  The Tortilla Curtain by T.C. Boyle
1996:  We Were the Mulvaneys by Joyce Carol Oates
1997:  Midwives by Chris Bohjalian
1998:  Charming Billy by Alice McDermott
1999:  Plainsong by Kent Haruf



To be read, so I can fill in the blanks.
1901:  MY BRILLIANT CAREER by MILES FRANKLIN
1903: THE CALL OF THE WILD by JACK LONDON
1904: THE GOLDEN BOWL by HENRY JAMES
1907:  THROUGH THE EYE OF THE NEEDLE by WILLIAM DEAN HOWELLS
1908:  THE MAN WHO WAS THURSDAY by G.K. CHESTERTON
1910:  HOWARDS END by E.M. FORSTER

1919:  MY MAN JEEVES by P.D. WODEHOUSE Read 2014

It took me a long time, and I mean a long time, to complete this list. I get obsessed at times.




 


3 comments:

Shannon said...

Did you count books that you have already read or did you choose new books when you decided to participate in the challenge?

Pam J. said...

Shannon: These are all books I've read in the past -- the very distant past in some cases. As in the 60s when I was in college. In 1984, I started a journal to keep track of every book I read so I referred to that a bit. But mostly I just remember what I've read. Books are a very important part of my life. I don't travel much in real life so I travel through books. (Got your email and will reply soon.)

Shannon said...

That book journal is a good idea. It's hard for me to remember all of the books that I have read. I read several of the books on your list in high school. Can you believe that I never read novels for college courses? Science majors...