Sunday, October 6, 2013

Beloved 4 o'clocks.


 
These flowers make me so happy. They bloom from July to October, produce hundreds of blooms and thousands of seeds (for next year), and smell heavenly. They start blooming late in the day, bloom happily all night, then begin to fold up at 11 AM or so. The deer generally don't eat them until late in the season when everything else is gone.
 
I prefer red 4's, but am too stubborn to go out and buy seeds for reds. The plants shown in this post are the descendants of 4's I planted a few years ago -- white blooms with a hint of pale, pale yellow. I like the process of gathering and saving seeds for the next year. I have many baggies of various seeds scattered about.
 
I've been a very bad gardener this year, just awful. I may post pictures to prove my point. Or maybe not. I've also been a very bad blogger this year. (But I've read a LOT of good books!)

6 comments:

Zazzy said...

We call them morning glories and I love them. The lawn guy killed them along with the weeds - but there wasn't any real way around that. Perhaps I will plant them on purpose!

Shannon said...

Well you can't do it all. Summer reading, yo!

Kitt said...

Hmm. I wonder if that's what the yellow, red and white flowers are in our wedding garden. We planted all the leftover plants from our wedding there, and also scattered wildflower seeds. It's a floral mosh pit, and these flowers came out on top this year.

Pam J. said...

A wedding garden is such a nice idea! If there are 4 o'clocks in your floral most pit they will almost certainly come back next year. Is it too late to get a picture of the garden? I know Colorado has had snow already. Even though it was 90 degrees here a week ago snow could come any time. I'm one of the few DCers who actually looks forward to it.

Pam J. said...

mosh pit, not most pit....

Kitt said...

Sadly, we had a freeze last weekend, so all the annuals are toast. It looks like an unmade bed out there now.

Next year!