In January I entered Goodreads' book challenge and chose 100 books as my goal for 2013. Time's running out. I'm 28 books behind schedule, according to Goodreads. I guess they have a way of predicting my personal speed of reading -- one of those algorithms it seems like we're always reading about these days. (I think the word "algorithm" was one I heard or read way back in 7th or 8th grade and then never heard again until social media came along.) I've read 50 books so far in 2013, with, what, 2 1/2 months to go? Goodreads therefore must predict that at my speed I'll finish 22 more by 12/31. Therefore I'm 28 behind schedule. At least that's the way my mind figures it. So I guess to meet my challenge I have to more than double my reading rate for the next 10 weeks. Not bloody likely. Although I did just start reading Old Filth an hour ago and it's so engaging that I'm racing my way through it. Who am I in competition with? Myself? The Grim Reaper? Yes, him! He'll win.

No comments:
Post a Comment