

I just love these young adult novels that give you a refresher course on historical figures or periods along with a lot of details about day to day life in other times and places. I read the Mary Tudor novel in a flash, now I'll start the Anne Tudor story. In the Mary story, Anne is seen as the corrupter of her husband Henry VIII, Anne's father. So now I'll read the same story but from Anne's point of view.
I'm also trying (second time) to read Gilead by Marilyn Robinson. I've read other books by her and liked them a lot. I can't figure out why I'm having a hard time getting into Gilead. I won't try too hard. Thousands of other books sit here waiting to be read and time's a-wasting.
2 comments:
I loved "Gilead," but it's a very quiet novel and I found I had to force myself to read it slowly. She packs a lot of meaning into each sentence, so it takes time and patience to parse.
I'm actually reading "Home" right now, finally. I held off because I wanted to have a book of hers in abeyance. That drought after "Housekeeping" sure lasted a long time.
That said, I just had to put "Home" down so I could read "The Hunger Games" before I go see the movie this weekend.
Post a Comment