Monday, March 5, 2012

Any hellebore experts, or amateurs, out there?






I have a few hardy hellebore (aka Lenten rose) plants, and one of them has what looks like a patch of seedlings -- see small plants in lower left of middle picture. I have a book on hellebores and I did some reading. Self-sown seedlings do happen sometimes. Not all hellebore plants will self-sow, but some do and they can be prolific. If your garden includes different colors, the colors will mix (thanks to bees and other pollinators) unpredictably, leading to muddy colors in the adult plants that grow from the seedlings. Or something like that. The book description of growing hellebores was complicated but very interesting; maybe I'll come back later and fill in the details.

My question: do these seedlings look like baby hellebores? I also had some pachysandra growing in that general area. Could it be that? I have my fingers crossed that it's a nice bunch o' babies from that nice big mother hellebore with the nice pink flowers. To be continued.

1 comment:

Susan Harris said...

Look like baby hellebores to me. They take years to flower from those seedlings, but still, they're freebies.