Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Thirsty bees.




I built the little pond in the lower left (middle picture) on a whim about 3 years ago. During the summers I tried to keep it free of leaves and other debris but I see now that I may want to consider letting it age naturally because the bees love to use the leaves as landing strips while they slurp up water. And I'm told by more experienced beekeepers that the bees prefer aged water to so-called fresh water from the tap.

I don't want to say it too loud but I think the girls may have survived the worst of the winter. I peeked under the top the other day and it sounded like there were plenty of them in the hive, and I just ordered a food source called pollen patties, which I'll slide under the top soon just in case they are running out of honey.

I continue to feel like I'm wandering alone in the desert on this bee business, and every decision I make is sort of a guess. No one warns you, in the beekeeping classes, about the anxiety factor in all of this.

2 comments:

Kathy said...

My bee partner and I put down some baggies with syrup and a pollen patty in each of our hives. http://kea-norhymeorreason.blogspot.com/2011/02/spring-feeding.html

I was encouraged to see some bees in the top super and some capped honey still. They were quite busy on the warm Saturday! I know what you mean by the anxiety.

Kathy said...

I'm also wondering how to get some water out that won't freeze.