


Yesterday I found this guy on the front porch of the beehive. The workers (girls) toss out the drones (boys) because they're just a drain on the hive over the winter (since they have no jobs, no skills, no responsibilities--other than the admittedly enormous job of passing along their Precious Bodily Fluids to any passing Queen). There will be plenty of drones available in the spring to mate with the Queens.
I also found a bit of mica. I save it (it's a slow process) but one day I hope to have enough to make something with it.
I'll crush the fennel seeds and toss them on a salad.
2 comments:
I've been seeing quite a few dead guys around too. Our mouse excluder mesh has collected a grisly batch. I worry when it's this cold!
Yeah, I find that I'm worrying too. The winter hasn't even officially started and it seems like such a looooong time before we'll know what's going on inside those hives. Will you remove the grisly batch, as you so poetically described it? I read somewhere that if too many bodies pile up behind the guard the bees can be unhappy. You know how neat they are.
Post a Comment