Thursday, June 3, 2010

This is why I added 10 new frames last week.


But someone explained to me today that burr comb isn't such a bad sign, and isn't always something to be removed. Sometimes the queen feels more secure when she sees comb above the frames and comb below the frames. Makes her feel confident enough to focus completely on egg-laying. Interesting...in my classes they often talked about anthropomorphizing... is it a good thing or a bad thing? It helps to explain things, but is logic from a human's point of view comparable to logic from a bee's point of view?

4 comments:

LADYBUG said...

this is so great!, to see GOD'S creation at work, I always love to visit your blog.

Anne said...

You must have a yellow thumb!

Honestly, the breadth of your interests is astonishing. Really.

I am not an enemy of stinking insects, nor am I a warm friend.

There are a couple of wasps building a nest just outside a sliding glass door here at our house. I don't want to bother them--after all, they just work so hard on it all the time--so I give them a really wide berth when I'm in the vicinity.

The nest is a secret from Tony, who would remove it in an instant.

JGH said...

Wow - you just keep on buzzin!!

I like the idea of accommodating the queen :-)

Pam J. said...

Thanks for the nice comments one and all! I now routinely get the (literal or figurative) eye-roll from immediate family members when I mention the bees so thankgod I have this blog.