Sunday, April 11, 2010

Still crazy for violets after all these years. So reliable, so care-free. They are the anti-tulip, which is neither reliable nor care-free.

3 comments:

Michelle Clay said...

Me too me too!

I got the yuccas into my new desert bet today. Two are showing new growth already. I plunked in some violets, too, since I have lots to play with. I'm curious if the violets will like the same sandy soil.

JGH said...

I want some!! These will grow in full shade, right?

My mom got me some of those expensive "perennial tulips" last year. I'm pleasantly surprised that lots of them seem to have come back! And they somehow escaped the deer this year. Come to think of it, I never got to see them last year. Have you ever tried species tulips?

Michelle Clay said...

Hey JGH, I would offer to mail you some violets, but as tough as they are, I think it would kill them to go through the mail at this time of year. If you remember, you can get in touch with me next autumn and I can send you seeds or dormant plants. However, if you have access to anyone with a yard, you could probablly find someone with a lawn who wants to get rid of their "weeds". ;)

Hmm. .. full shade. . . there may be some varieties that grow in full shade, but the types I see around here are either full or part sun.