
Her birds of prey post is well worth a visit. This hawk, a red-shouldered I think, enjoyed the fresh suet on my deck last winter. Usually, when I put out the kind of suet you buy at the grocery store--processed slab-like hunks of fat--I attract lots of creatures: mostly woodpeckers and chickadees and nuthatches, and of course squirrels. But when I offer up fresh suet from the local Amish market, even the crows and hawks and vultures stop by. Those processed blocks don't pass the smell test is my guess. Hawks know when there's really fresh meat to be had.
3 comments:
Interesting! I've never had suet before but will definitely be getting some this year because I'm doing Project Feederwatch. I'll look for the less processed variety.
And here I thought we had crazy birds at our feeder when a turkey stopped by. This takes the cake! What a gorgeous bird!
Thanks for sharing that! (And for the link!)
Awesome photo! I think your husband may be on to something. I'm a predator who likes head rubs too!
Post a Comment