Thursday, February 5, 2009

Talk about your no-frills book.



I rarely buy new books these days but I had to have a copy of this one so I paid about 15 bucks to get it through Amazon. It was published by IndyPublish.com, a sort of self-publishing outfit (I gather). I understand why such companies exist; lots of people self-publish. But we know Darwin isn't around so who decided to make the effort to publish this (presumably no-longer-copyrighted) book?

2 comments:

JGH said...

This is so weird. This is the second time I heard about this book this week! Adam Gopnik just wrote a new book about Darwin and he spoke at the Y where I work a few nights ago. Apparently he read ALL of Darwin to research his book and I asked him which book he liked the most. He said "The one about vegetable mold". Talk about weird coincidences.

Pam J. said...

That IS a coincidence...I think. My interest in Darwin's book comes from my growing obsession with My Lovely Worms. The release of Gopnik's new book is timed, I'm guessing, to coincide with Darwin's 200th birthday coming up next week. Did you know that he was born on the exact day as Abraham Lincoln? 2/12/1809. Good day to be born!