Wednesday, December 1, 2021

2005 movie Romance & Cigarettes


Feb 18, 2008
When it succeeds, it soars with great abandon, and when it fails, it fails so grandly that we still want to applaud it. This is a madhouse of a movie.

We watched this movie on a whim. I'd never heard of it before. Produced by the Coen Bros, written/directed by John Tuturro, great cast. I loved it. Not for everyone but I'll watch it again for the zany dancing, lip-syncing, and music.


3 comments:

Margaret said...

Watching movies from 16 years ago (wow!!) is so interesting. The date sounds modern day yet so much has changed.

PipeTobacco said...

Hello Pamela:

First, thank you for visiting and commenting on my blog! I learned of your blog through your comment, so I will begin visiting regularly.

It is interesting that I do not recall that film, even though during the time I was very heavily into watching 2-3 films a week at the theaters. I will have to see if I can locate it perhaps on Amazon Prime.

Gandolfini being in the film is definitely a positive that will encourage me to watch the film.

Yet, Christopher Walken being in the film.... he is not a favorite of mine... so that makes me just a tad nervous.

I will try to convince my wife to have a "film night" tonight, if I can locate it.

PipeTobacco

PipeTobacco said...

Hello Pamela:

I was surprised when I came back here that your December 1st post was actually the first post you had made in quite a while. I am not sure if that means you may have another blog somewhere else, but if you do, might I be able to learn of it to be able to read your writings?

If you do not actually write on your blog anymore, that is of course your choice. However, I do find your writings very interesting and I would think that many folks would as well.

You posed two different questions to me in comments on my blog. I will try to address them here:

1. You told me of your husband smoking a pipe, and asked me why I had stopped? Well, it is somewhat of a convoluted story, but in a basic way..... I fortunately have no health issues related to smoking, so I had an edict from a doctor/clinician to do. But, close to four years ago now, I was concerned that I was being excessive in my love of smoking a pipe and pipe tobacco that I was being very foolish... this caused me to experience a fair amount of worry. As a part of my faith (I am Roman Catholic), I was beginning to feel that this WORRY I was feeling was not appropriate for me (it felt "sinful" to WORRY about something I *could* stop doing. And, my stopping corresponded also with the start of Lent almost four years ago. I now WOULD very much like to return to smoking my pipes and pipe tobaccos, but I want to figure out a way to do so that is perhaps a bit more "occasional" than I ever was typically with my pipe smoking throughout my life. I am just not sure if I have enough gumption, or at least a strong enough plan, to return as an "occasional" pipe smoker yet. But, I hope to figure it out.

2. You also mentioned Cannabis. Yes, I have always been curious about said. In my youth, I was rather risk aversive, fearing that if I tried it, I would like it so much that it would weaken my abilities to graduate from college and then graduate school on my attempt to become a professor. Of course, a helluva lot of my friends back then though I was foolish, and perhaps I was. But I was rather unsure of my own abilities, and was the first member of my family to even attempt college (only the second person in my family to complete high school at that time). Now that I am an old codger, I believe I could "handle" the risk of indulging with less worry.... even if the euphoric pleasure of smoking said green leaf surpasses even my own vivid imagination of what it may be like. Yet, I have still not had that pleasure/opportunity. I remain hopeful of getting to do so, however.

PipeTobacco