

I came across this photo while, once again, attempting to get rid of papers. It's a picture of a cousin once removed (his long-dead father was my long-dead grandmother's brother) who I never met; he's standing in front of his dorm on the campus of Colorado State University in Greeley (now called University of Northern Colorado). Osama bin Laden and his pals in al Qaeda were inspired by the writings of an Egyptian writer-educator Sayyid Qutb, who was executed in 1966. Qutb wrote about the evils of the western world, much of which he discovered while living for 2 years in the US. As one website says: "While he was auditing classes [at Colorado State University in Greeley], Qutb also joined student clubs and even church groups, then began to form a hatred for America and the West. He would later write books of his experiences in Greeley, chastising young people for moral decay and [get this!] homeowners in Greeley for their dedication to mowing their lawns." So....my cousin was a freshman there in 1946. Assuming he graduated he would have been there until 1950 and therefore he would have overlapped with Qutb. Maybe something my cousin did irritated Qutb so much that he went back to Egypt and wrote his screed about the US and Greeley in particular. The rest is history. I'm sorry.
2 comments:
What a hoot. Talk about six degrees of separation. PS - I know a great American and want to wish her a Happy Birthday. You are to the orbit of our lives what Neil Armstrong was to the moon. Or something like that.
So this is Uncle Ed's son?? I didn't even know he had a son ... go figure
Post a Comment