
My niece, sitting on the ground below, grew amaranth last year at her home-farm in extreme western MD.* So I decided to try it too, especially after my friend Susan gave me some seeds. Mine are doing fine, as long as they're protected with mesh fencing from the deer, but they are not as lush as my niece's were. I remember hers as tallish, sort of hip high, very dark rich red, full, unruly. My niece's husband, is sitting on the porch. My sister is holding the spectacular little A----, who was, I think, about 10 months old in this picture. The sweet and gentle G--- is in the background. He was 3 1/2 (I think) at the time.
*You can't see her amaranth flower beds in this picture but they were just beyond the house on the right, just out of sight. Wish I had taken pictures.
No comments:
Post a Comment