Tuesday, December 29, 2020

My slight obsession with food in general, delivered boxes of food in particular

 

I'm not sure exactly how it started but a few months ago I subscribed to Every Plate. You probably know about these services -- clients receive each week a box of uncooked, un-prepped food that you turn into a meal for 2 or 4 people in 45 minutes or less. I love them. They are the answer to a prayer I didn't even know I had. 

How do I justify paying someone else to shop for and plan meals? It took a while but I think I have.

Then my daughter gave me a "free" box of food from Martha and Marley, and a friend gave me one for Blue Apron. Then I tried Home Chef and Hello Fresh. So for about 2-3 months we've had these dinners.

I'm in the process of cutting back to just one weekly delivery of 3 meals, which will be Every Plate. The plans are all quite similar except for price and Every Plate is the least expensive. I'm also hooked on giving away "free" boxes of food to friends and family, which the services promote heavily. 

Several friends have used these kits in the past and quit for various reasons, including not wanting to generate so much plastic waste, or not wanting to invest 30-45 minutes chopping and stirring, or simply not willing to pay someone to do what you can do yourself. 

I've justified the expense because I'm spending way less money each month by not going out to dinner or lunch with friends, the meals are so much more interesting than what I've been slapping together and flinging on the table each night, and as a bonus my husband is learning to cook! 42 years married and suddenly he's interested in cooking.

By the way, if any of my readers--all half dozen of you--want to try one of these services, let me know in a comment. I'll get your email and send you a free box (the catch is that you have to pay for shipping, $9, with your credit card so they have your billing info and consider you a client. But you can cancel after the first free box). 

23 more days until that deadbeat is out of DC and I hope he never comes back, although he's threatening to be here on Jan 6 when Pence counts the votes and declares Joe our president. It's been torture to know that he's been sleeping and eating and tweeting just 10 miles from my home. Creepy. I propose that the White House remove everything from his bedroom, fumigate, repaint, and turn it into a storage room. No human should ever sleep in the same room he slept in.

5 comments:

Margaret said...

I did Hello, Fresh when I was in NY in July. There were some delicious and interesting meals, but a lot for one person to eat. As you wrote, it's a chance to try new recipes and foods. I'm giving that piece of sh*t as little attention as possible, although he still scares me. He's both vindictive and childish. And stupid.

Margo H said...

We really liked Blue Apron! We took a break, partly because we were getting concerned about all the packing & frozen gel, etc. But we may go back. Loved the variety.

Margo H said...

And yes, looking forward to "trash day" -- taking out the trash on Jan 20. Buh bye.

Zazzy said...

You're having better luck with those boxes than I did. I suspect it is at least partly location, location, location. I received limp, sometimes rotted produce and poorly cut meats or meat that were not the cut at all for use in the recipe. I like the idea of them and they are probably better than when I tried them but I think I would buy the already chef prepared meals if I could buy any.

Kathy said...

I've been a Blue Apron user for several years. Love it. Tried Hello Fresh (free box from a user), but I didn't like their menus as much. With BA, my husband and recent-college-grad son both help out a lot more, which is bonus. College boy used it when he was living at school too.