Saturday, August 30, 2014

I can plainly see what these are -- floating flowers and plants -- but I don't know why they are.



 
These islands of plants appeared in the pond next door earlier this summer. My husband has asked park employees what their purpose is -- aesthetic? to aid some wildlife? -- and has gotten unhelpful answers. Each island has an anchor so they are not technically free-floating I guess. Although the one at the top was on the shoreline so I don't know what that means. Any ideas on their purpose? I'm happy to have them, no matter why they're around.

3 comments:

KB said...

So strange, but very cool. Maybe it's to try to keep the pond healthier for the fish? Have fish been dying? Hard to believe the park would have enough money to do this for aesthetics, but maybe? Sure hope someone really knows. k

Margaret said...

I would be curious too. It's a cool idea and very pretty but I would think there would be a specific reason. KB has an interesting theory.

Zazzy said...

My guess is that they're there for pond health or cleaning, too. One site called them floating islands and said that any plant appropriate for the zone would work, not just aquatic plants.

Of course that's still just a guess. Maybe they just look pretty. :)