![]() |
| I want one of those Lone Star beer can men. He's made about five so far. |
I like both Rust Cohles. The older one and the younger one. The HBO show True Detective is addictive and just weird enough to have pulled me in. And not quite as violent as other series on TV. Disturbing, but not terribly violent.
In Sunday's fifth episode the screenwriter Nic Pizzolatto has Rust spout string theory. At least that's what a couple of other viewers have suggested on Slate.com -- see below. And this! Well this is just hilarious.
![]() |
| Calabi–Yau manifold (3D projection). From Wikipedia. |
![]() |
| A 2D slice of the 6D Calabi-Yau quintic manifold. From Wikipedia. |
I did think Rust’s speechifying this episode—especially as compared to the early episodes—was starting to feel a little far out and pretentious in a nonsensical way. Membrane theory, schmembrane theory.
Haglund: Membrane theory (or M-theory) is presumably an example of the “legitimate scientific and philosophical thought” that Pizzolatto is very fond of. (Update, 4:55 p.m.: In the comments, Dan Schiller notes that Cohle is probably saying “M-brane,” rather than membrane. Brane is short for membrane; both terms are connected with string theory.) Pizzolatto has defended Cohle’s speechifying from charges that it’s just dorm-room bullshit. Me, I love listening to McConaughey talk...




1 comment:
How incredibly mesmerizing Matthew McConaughey was - seriously, I could watch him make beer can men forever.
They could give him a show where he reads the phone book and makes things out of pipecleaners and beads, I'd totally be down with that. ;)
Thanks for dropping by my blog!
I like what I see here, so I will add your blog to my feed reader. It'll be listed on my new reads post for September, because I closed off August a couple of days ago. :) Good thing too, there was like over a hundred new blogs on that list.
Post a Comment