Thursday, December 12, 2013

This was very good. Onion, bacon, and apple tart. Or quiche.




 
I got this recipe from another blogger, Zazzy at zazamataz.com. Below is her recipe re-created in my shorthand style. For a more thoughtful and nuanced recipe see her site.
 
Make or buy a single pie crust
 
Cook bacon strips (I used about 8 for the tart shown here)
Remove bacon from pan
Saute a lot of chopped onions in the bacon fat
 
Add salt, pepper, and
1 peeled green apple cut into smallish pieces
 
After the onions and apple are nicely cooked, crumble the bacon on top, stir it up, and cool it off a bit
 
Add onions to pie crust
Whisk together 4 eggs and 1/2 cup milk (or cream)
Pour it over the onion mixture
Sprinkle with shredded cheese
Bake in preheated (375 degree) oven for 40 minutes
 
It was especially good the next day.
 
I made my own crust using this recipe. And I par-baked the crust, as suggested by Zazzy, something I've never done before and never really knew about, although I might have guessed what it was.
 
When Doug asked what we were having for dinner and I said onion tart I don't think he knew exactly what to expect. After dinner I asked if calling it a bacon-onion quiche would have given him a better picture of what he was going to eat, and he said yes. "Tart" conjures up sweet; quiche conjures up salty. This is definitely salty, with just a hint of that sweet apple. I think you could leave out the apple and/or the bacon and it would still be good. You could even possibly leave out the cheese, or use a lot less.
 
[Bottom picture is evidence that I lack impulse control.]

1 comment:

Zazzy said...

Glad you enjoyed. To be fair, I planned to use a tart pan which would clearly have made it a tart. Heh. Is it a pie? A quiche? It's yummy whatever it is.