Friday, June 8, 2012

A wedding next June!






The home that became this Inn (top picture) was built in1829 and is about 50 miles west of Washington, DC, and just east (and maybe a little north?) of the Blue Ridge Mountains in Virginia.

Up until the 1930s the building in the second picture was a one-room school house in this tiny town of about 65 people. 

Third picture from the bottom shows Becca, clipboard in hand, and Sean, camera in hand, and the Innkeeper.

I may be getting excited but it's a very, very low-key excitement.  And I keep telling Becca that I will do whatever she wants, in terms of planning, but she has to give me specific instructions.  I'm not in any way at all interested in events planning.  Sounds too much like work.  In fact, I hope to be the reverse of an interfering mother of the bride (or mother-in-law-to-be).  Maybe a little too much as a matter of fact.

7 comments:

Shannon said...

Beautiful location. I think I annoyed my mom regarding my wedding plans: I didn't want to have anything to do with planning. I was like, why don't we all go to a restaurant afterwards, it'll be low-key(the actual ceremony was in the Portland, OR LDS Temple). She planned the whole thing--I chose the color and the flower. He he. Hopefully your daughter is nicer to you than I was to my mom and she doesn't make you plan.
:)
Have fun!

Kathy said...

Too bad you can't book the weather ahead of time. Like last weekend. Or this one coming up.

Pam J. said...

This weather we're having in the DC area is almost spooky. It's been a little TOO good lately. Not used to it. And oh yes, wouldn't it be great to get exactly today (or yesterday etc etc) next June?

Shannon you've now made me wonder if I've hurt my daughter's feelings by not being an enthusiastic participant? I don't think so, but it's always good to review your assumptions. Which is a phrase I don't think I've used in a long time. It's good advice in all things. For example, all week I've been assuming that my deer fencing is in good shape but that poor little fawn got back inside the fenced area yesterday and it was horrible getting him out. He got a bloody nose, poor baby. And about 2 hours later I saw his mom arrive on the scene and was clearly upset. She headed into the woods in almost the exact spot where the baby went so I think all is well.

My, my, how the mind wanders while typing on the internet.

Margaret said...

Jealous of your beautiful weather AND your lovely wedding locale. I think I would be more of a meddler than you, just because I would want to get the best place at the best prices. Neither one of my daughters is getting married though. I'm sad.

JGH said...

Beautiful spot! I think you are wise to hesitate about jumping in to the wedding planning-- but it sounds like all is falling into place. How exciting!

Anne said...

bWell, well, well! Hooray! Agree with everyone that the location is just lovely, not too far away and that weather is unpredictable. I'm sure there would be a contingency plan, yes?

And, yes, maybe in not wanting to make your daughter's life a misery in the coming year, you might possibly overcompensate. Only you and Becca can sort it out. An open dialogue is more important than ever, I guess, during high stress times.

I wonder how Miz S is handling it all, with two daughters planning weddings?

I think it's time to think about a more permanent fence structure for your garden, if you plan on continuing for the foreseeable future--maybe you could sink some posts and put up some wire fencing? I haven't done it myself, but I've seen Tony put in posts. It looked something like this--design enclosure, measure, dig holes, mix cement, sink posts, and level. And probably go on-line to research.

Pam J. said...

Hi Anne,
About deer fencing:
"maybe you could sink some posts and put up some wire fencing"
Yes, that's sort of what I'm slowly doing in a very, very half-assed way. I started with my veggie garden, which is up against one wall of my house so I only have 3 sides to protect. I dug some holes (but not very big holes), I sunk in posts (more like sticks than posts), and put up some wire fencing (the wire fencing is only 4 ft tall but so far, so good). I need to do a version of this all the way around the back yard, which is do-able. But won't get done any time soon because I'm not much of a planner.

Which judging from the beautiful pictures of your beautiful home I can see you are.

I wonder if I could change my ways? Doubtful.