

I'd worked my way through 93 pages of Midnight's Children and this chart shows why I stopped at page 94. Way too much work. But I really do want to read something about Pakistan so I've got a couple of books on hold at the library, both nonfiction.
And I read this delightful little book about Starbucks today. Cleansed the palate. Thanks for the suggestion Shannon!
2 comments:
The little Starbucks book looks like fun. I love their coffee, although my Older Daughter doesn't agree.(calls them the Evil Empire) :)
Oh Margaret, you must tell me why Older Daughter thinks SBucks is the EE! I'm very interested. Is it because they serve overly sweet coffee, contributing to the obesity "epidemic" in this country? Is it because of the 1999 WTO protests in Seattle when SBucks was identified by the protestors as a symbol of the dangers of globalization? Is it simply because they've made a fortune by selling overpriced coffee to people who really shouldn't be spending their money that way? Older Daughter is the one at Columbia, right? So she's surrounded by them. Maybe she dislikes them because she can't go 2 blocks in her neighborhood without seeing one? The book makes them sound like the most egalitarian company on the planet (no one who works there, including the manager, can tell another employee what to do; they're supposed to ask "Mike, can you help me with this for a minute" and the author says it works to create a pleasant workplace for all -- something you might appreciate given what you've said about your workplace experience). Please report back!
Post a Comment