Thursday, November 10, 2011

As suggested by an observant reader.



Anne of The Complaint Department had a good suggestion about MY complaint about reading books on an eReader -- I bemoaned the absence of an attractive cover to keep me tied to the book I'm reading. So I'm trying out a quick and cheap method of adding book covers to the Kindle. If I just had a color printer it would be more effective, but this works for now. And quite by coincidence, last Sunday's NYT Book Review section had a good article about the subject of book cover art. Here.

If you want to read the full NYT article but don't want to go through the paywall, you can click on the full story over on the right side of this blog -- see section called "Pam's Place for Items of Note." Click on The Art of the Novel.

4 comments:

Margaret said...

That is a VERY cool idea!! I like it. My tablet is pretty big, so I don't know if that will work for me though. :)

JGH said...

I think that is why there is a rotating "cover" on the home screen of the kindle. I'm ready for some new ones, though.

cyradaria said...

I hate to say it, but this could all be solved by . . . buying a book. A regular book.

Pam J. said...

I know your opinions about e-Readers Ms. Cyradaria. I once shared them. And I'm sure we've spent a lunch hour or two sneering over the very idea of them.

But now that I have one I'm a big fan and I'll remain a fan until the battery wears out (which poses the question: DO the batteries wear out?? I hope not. I'd hate to think that this device will join the millions of other discarded electronics on the shores of Ghana.)

Actually, I already own two copies of Anna Karenina, a 1961 paperback and a 1933 Literary Guild hardback that belonged to my Aunt Gladys. But they're both big and lumpy and heavy. And -- off the subject -- they are different translations, right from the get-go:

1933: Happy families are all alike; every unhappy family is unhappy in its own way.

1961: All happy families are like one another; each unhappy family is uhappy in its own way.

I like the older translation. Although the difference between "each" and "every" is interesting to ponder.