

Kathy came to visit briefly on Saturday; she had to be in town for business. She brought me these gorgeous lilacs from her house Way Up in The Hills, the same house our maternal grandparents lived in. The lilacs are from shrubs that my grandmother grew. Maybe they even go back before my grandmother?? If they were planted when the house was built they might be from the 1930s. The little picture of Kathy is one that hangs around my sewing and knitting boxes, which explains the condition (I really should put it someplace safe.) She's in her Brownie uniform and is probably in the second grade in this picture. Isn't she cute? The house has smelled heavenly since Saturday.
2 comments:
I just love lilacs. So delicious to sniff!
Kathy's pic is so adorable--and I can see a resemblance between the two of you. While I no longer have my Brownie uniform, I DO have the Day-glo orange necktie! Not sure about the beanie, though. I'll have to hunt for it.
Such a nice story about the lilacs' "roots," so to speak.
One of my favorite flowers and maybe the best scent of all, carnation coming close perhaps. I've always thought lilacs to play the cool, smart girl to the rose's Miss Popularity.
Post a Comment