Tuesday, September 7, 2010

It remains my biggest mystery plant. (Update 10/10/10: Carolyn says boneset and I agree. This will be its last year in my veggie garden.)





On my other blog I posted earlier this year about this plant in an attempt to find out what it is. I'm almost certain it's not boneset (leaves aren't right) or Joe Pye weed (I've found no evidence of a pure white Joe Pye weed) or rudbekia (flowers all wrong). All I know is that I didn't plant it, it got enormous, pollinators love it, and it blocked the sun from half of my garden. I planted some cardinal creeper seeds that I saved from last year, and I like the look of their red flowers and lacey vine leaves creeping throughout the white blossoms and foliage of the mystery plant. What is it??? My earlier post on mylovelyweeds is here, along with the guesses a few people made. Anyone else have any ideas? There's lots of it in the park next door, bottom picture, so it's not rare, at least around here. Mine is so much bigger than those in the park. Probably my worm castings. Not my castings, the worms' castings.

3 comments:

Michelle Clay said...

Wacky! No clue, alas!

Anne said...

I have no idea what it is, but NOW I see it everywhere!

Carolyn said...

First thing I thought was Boneset also. You can key this out with "Newcomb's Wildflower Guide". I would do just that but my copies (yes, there are more than one) are not here at home, but elsewhere (really dumb). Newcomb's is the absolute best guide for stuff in flower, although it doesn't cover every single species you may encounter in the US. Still, you may be able to get it down to genus, at a minimum.